The Lord will be king over the whole earth. On that day there will be one Lord, and his name the only name.
Today’s passage falls within the prophet Zachariah’s messages to the people of Judah after they returned from their seventy years of exile in Babylon. In verse 9, Zachariah’s message points to a time when the Lord Jesus Christ will literarily rule as King over the whole earth (Rev 11:15) (Dan 7:13-14). When that time comes, the Lord alone and His name will be mentioned, no other name or idol will be mentioned in the entire world. Christ will have done away with all false religions spawned by Satan. Everyone will worship the Lord as God and know Him by the same name.
In anticipation of the return of our Lord Jesus as King over all the earth, we should already live a life submitted to His authority now, by doing everything He expects us to do before He returns. Such as loving God with all our heart, soul and mind and loving our neighbor as ourselves.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.