30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
It’s impossible! “How” is often a question we ask when facing impossible situations.
As we reach the end of the Advent Season in a year where the whole world has been shaken, we look up to our God and for what He is known for, among other names:
– El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty)
– Jehovah Rapha (The Lord That Heals)
– Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide)
– Jehovah Shalom (The Lord Is Peace)
It is Our Lord God Almighty who sent His Beloved Son to be Light in this dark world, to bring healing, salvation, peace… and to give us new life in Him. What a great gift: to receive what we do not deserve! We continually lay down our “how’s” in the hands of the One who is in the business of doing the impossible, and who has promised that Jesus will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever and His kingdom will never end.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Invite the Holy Spirit to be present with you in this moment. And then, wait. Allow God’s peace to draw near.