3 The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
This narrative in John 10 describes a morning shepherding scene. During Jesus’ time, several flocks (from different shepherds) stayed in one sheep pen (a walled enclosure with one gate). At night the enclosure is guarded by a doorkeeper to prevent thieves and animals of prey from entering. In the morning the doorkeeper will open the gate for the shepherd who enters the enclosure and calls his sheep by name (out from the other flocks). As his sheep hear the sound of their owner’s familiar voice, they follow him out to the fields.
Similar, as Christians, we should be able to hear and recognize Jesus’ voice out from other distractions, opinions etc. and follow Jesus wherever he leads us.
Thoughts for the day
- When Jesus calls you by name, do you recognize His voice?
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
PRAY FOR GOD’S KINGDOM TO COME The simplest prayer can be the most powerful: “Your Kingdom Come, Your Will be done, On earth as in heaven.