When you have entered the land the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance and have taken possession of it and settled in it, 2 take some of the firstfruits of all that you produce from the soil of the land the Lord your God is giving you and put them in a basket. Then go to the place the Lord your God will choose as a dwelling for his Name.
These verses capture 3 points that is worth noting. Firstly, note God gave the land to the Israelites. It wasn’t theirs from the start, they did not work to acquire it nor were they entitled to have it; it was given to them by God (since everything belongs to Him). Secondly, God requires the first fruit of their produce (in our case it might be our salaries) as an offering to Him. The term first fruits carry a notion of that which is considered the best of what you have. The reason behind this concept serves a dual purpose. Firstly, it’s a way of thanking God for everything He has given us. Think of it in terms of taking a portion of God’s gift to us and give it back to Him as a way to thank Him for His provision in our lives. Secondly, it also helps us to refrain from getting caught up in worldly possessions and desires, but to always put God first. Thirdly, notice how the Israelites have to take their first fruits to a place God will choose for them as a dwelling place. The dwelling place is equivalent to a church where one worships God and notice the words “God will choose’. The Israelites had to ask God where to take their first fruit. It wasn’t a random dwelling place or a couple of dwelling places, but one specific place and once they have settled on that dwelling place, they gave their first fruits on a regular basis (Con).
Thoughts for the day
- Do you consider your ‘produce’ as something that is not your own but God’s?
- Do you offer a portion of your produce to God on a regular basis?
- Do you randomly bring your first fruits to any dwelling place or have you prayed to which one you should give?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Short prayers for the day, “Jesus; let me see you”, “God, I belong to you”, “Holy Spirit, come”.