28 About eight days after Jesus said this, he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray. 29 As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning
What blows me away in this passage is that Peter (along with James and John) witnessed the amazing miracle of Jairus’ daughter being brought back to life and then now witnessing the transfiguration Jesus would eventually deny Jesus? Peter had witnessed all of Jesus’ ministry and yet in a desperate and stressful moment lied and then denied being one of Jesus’ disciples. I would like to think that I would be better in that moment than Peter, but honestly speaking, I don’t know! This is a good reminder for us that even the best fall and we all sin and fall short of the glory of God. We need the forgiveness of sins and the blood of Jesus to wash us clean and stand firm (Joshua).
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God and Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray for focus; fix your eyes back to Jesus and acknowledge Him at the center of everything.