22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”(which means “God with us”).
24 When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25 But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.
You might have heard and sung the song “Mary did you know?” before. Conversations with good friends of mine would always end up with laughter as we talk about how she might not have known the exact things that Jesus would do growing up, but she did know who she was carrying in her womb – “the Son of the Most High” (Luke 1:32).
As it is written, Jesus came to become King of Jacob’s people and his kingdom will never end (Luke 1:33). What started more than 2000 years ago is the ongoing process of the establishment of His Kingdom as we continue to see “God with us” present in our lives and in the lives of those around us, and we look forward to His Second Coming, when we will see His Kingdom established in its fullness.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray for the nation of China. Pray for China’s leaders and for all those who are in authority. May they call on God for the wisdom to lead this country.