28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies for your sake; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs,
Paul is summarizing God’s dealings with Israel and with the Gentiles. In order for God to bring the gospel to Gentiles He had to deal with Israel corporately as enemies. But in relation to God’s choice (election) of Abraham and His covenant with him and the patriarchs, Israel is beloved. Because God chose Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (Rom. 9:6–13), He loves the nation and will carry through on His promises. This is another reason Israel’s hardening must be temporary (Rom. 11:15, 22–25) and she will finally be saved corporately since God chose her.
If there is anything that can be gleaned from this summary, it is God’s salvific plan from the start was for everyone to have the opportunity to be saved.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray through your contacts! Open the contacts on your phone and pray for everyone under the letter “A” or “Z”. Work through your entire contact list over the next couple of months!