13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.”
14 So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, 15 where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: “Out of Egypt I called my son.”
Joseph was such a faithful man. Whenever he heard from the Lord he responded accordingly. In contrast we read about so many who knew the prophecies of old and saw them being fulfilled, who heard Jesus speak and even saw him performing miracles, yet, they didn’t believe.
“Will I be found faithful?”, I ponder. Will I trust in His guidance and goodness, when He warns me against harm?
One might argue, “well, of course I would listen if an angel of the Lord showed up in a dream!”. But what about God’s Word and His commandments – the encounter we have every time we read the words written in the Bible.
“Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” James 1:22
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray for someone you may know who is in need of physical healing.