2 “Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem:
“This is what the Lord says:
“‘I remember the devotion of your youth,
how as a bride you loved me
and followed me through the wilderness,
through a land not sown.
In Jeremiah 2 we read how the prophet addresses Israel by stating how she used to love Yahweh and received Yahweh’s kindness during her childhood. But time and time again Israel forsook Yahweh. Similarly, in Revelations 2:1-7 we read how the angel of the Lord addresses the church of Ephesus making a similar statement. The church used to adore and love God, but now they have forsaken their first love. But we see in Revelation, the angel continues to say, ‘whoever has ears let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God’. Note the word victorious. By employing this word, it reveals that God has not given up on those who are willing to repent and return to him. Regardless what you’ve done or regardless what you’re struggling with God is not giving up on you. His love is relentless until the end. You can still return to your first love (Con – Discipleship Director).
Thoughts for the day
- Do you feel you have done or struggle with something and there’s no way out for you? Take heart and know you too can be victorious?
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Bring to mind some of the qualities of God that you know to be true, then spend time giving thanks to God for who He is.