6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. 7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.
In these verses, Paul answered the implied question, namely ‘What does it mean to live according to the sinful nature and according to the Spirit?’ He explained that the former means having their minds set on what that nature desires. An unbeliever cares only for his sinful interests and has no regard for God. The exact opposite is true of those who live according to the Spirit. They aspire for or have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.
Thoughts for the day
- Is your mindset on what the Spirit desires?
- How can you know what the Spirit Desires?
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
God of all comfort and counsel, we name before you those known to us who are vulnerable and scared – the frail, the sick, and the elderly. God of all comfort you are powerful and merciful. This is our prayer:
“He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us again. On him, we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us” 2 Corinthians 1:10