16 “They were the ones who followed Balaam’s advice and enticed the Israelites to be unfaithful to the Lord in the Peor incident, so that a plague struck the Lord’s people.
“Half-obedience” is still disobedience.
The Israelites came back from the battle with the Midianites not fully carrying out what God had commanded them to do (God commanded them to kill the Midianites, but they spared the women and children; it sounds noble, but the passage doesn’t go into why they spared them).
When asked about why they spared the women, it is revealed that these were the very ones who caused the Israelites to rebel against God.
Although quite extreme, this passage reminds us to not take God’s commands lightly. To “half obey” is still disobeying, and when there are external influences that leads us away from God instead of bringing us closer, watch out!
Thoughts for the day
- Is there anything in your life that you need to flee from?
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray for the people in China.