The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God,
The author of Mark begins his account of the gospel of Jesus with two goals in mind. The first intention is to announce that the gospel of salvation is only through Jesus Christ. There were a lot of good news/philosophies during Jesus’ time, which was said to solve life’s problems. Therefore, Mark had to stress the truth that salvation through Jesus Christ is the only real gospel that can save.
Mark’s second intention is to publicize the fact that there is no real salvation without the cross. A third of Mark’s Gospel focuses on Jesus’ crucifixion and death – that alone tells you it’s a very important message for the author. Without the cross and resurrection, Christianity would only be just another religion that doesn’t save.
Similiarly, today there are also many philosphies, relilgions and worldly ideas/concpets out there that aims at helping/saving people, but they are all humanistic centered. They all elminate the cruxificion and resurection. People can not save themselves – only Jesus can. Don’t fall in the trap that as people we can save ourselves. As humans we would like to think we are grand and powerful, but that is only a lie from the enemy. He’s trying to convince us like he did with Eve in the graden that we can be like God and that we don’t need him. That we can do it by ourselves (Woowon- Korean Community Group leader).
Thoughts for the day
- How much do you demnpend on the cross for your salvation or do you feel you need to do something extra to be saved?
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray for people to join the work of proclaiming the good news, “Jesus is Risen”, to a lost and dying world.