13 “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. 14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.
The name “Son of Man” (bar ĕnâsh) was Jesus’ favorite name by which to designate himself. This designation does not appear anywhere else in the Old testament in such a connection. This passage in Daniel, is the only time in the old text where the term Son of Man is used to refer to the Messiah. It is of no coincidence then that Jesus would use this to refer to himself. Any Jewish person who heard him refer himself to this would with no hesitation understand that Jesus was declaring himself the Messiah! In the same way, I believe God speaks very plainly to us in such ways still. So much of how the Lord works is right before our very eyes! Sadly, its is often our blindness and ignorance that keeps us from truly understanding or seeing what he is doing.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Today, take a moment, wherever you are, to REJOICE in God’s goodness: Read a Bible passage or listen to a song that helps you to connect with God.