31 May 2019 – Genesis 3:22 and (cross reference) Revelation 2:1-7 (NIV)
22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”
In chapter 3, we witness the sad account of the Fall of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. God clearly instructed them not to eat from the fruits of the tree of knowledge; otherwise, they’ll die. The death that is spoken of here isn’t an instantaneous physical death, but spiritual death. Before they ate from the tree, they enjoyed intimate fellowship with God in his presence. But once they ate from the tree of knowledge, God expelled them from the garden before they ate from the tree of life. But the fantastic part of this sad story is that it doesn’t end here. We see in Revelation 2:7 where God says those who are victorious, who persevere to the end in Christ, will be allowed to eat from the tree of life (the exact same tree God forbade Adam and Eve to eat from). As a result, we’ll get to live forever in the presence of God, like it was before the Fall (Con – Discipleship Director).
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray for somewhere in the world that needs God’s attention. Turn on a news app or web site and pray for a news item that speaks to you.