16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
In some countries, John 3:16 is everywhere – on bumper stickers, key chains, billboards, hamburger wrappers (shout out to In-n-Out!) and even held up by rabid fans during football games. The problem is that sometimes the verse is so ubiquitous that we can get desensitized to the power of its message. So, let us meditate on what John 3:16 is telling us:
God loves the world. He loves humanity, but He also loves us individually.
He loves us so much that He sent us His son, Jesus, to live among us and ultimately be killed on a cross so that we do not have to suffer the penalty of our sins.
Through Jesus – by believing in Him and His death on the cross – we are reconciled to our loving God and given the blessing of eternal life with Him in Heaven.
That’s the message of John 3:16…it is a message of love and redemption! I guess now I know why so many people want to proclaim it.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Stop and ask God to place a nation on your mind and heart. Pray for the people to be blessed by God, the church to shine brightly and for God to be present in that place.