16 For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” 18 We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.
Peter and the other disciples spoke about Jesus just like they experienced it. Not fancy tales, but processed reflections. The purpose was to share what they actually went through that made them reach their conclusion that Jesus is the Son of God, the fulfillment of prophesies.
Examples of Peter’s speeches can be found in the book of Acts (this was after Jesus ascended to heaven). They show the fruit of Peter making effort to reflect and remember time spent with Jesus. People might disagree with him or be offended by him, but no one could discredit his experience as false. As he spoke truth, the truth convicted his listeners and many came to faith.
When you share about Jesus, take a leaf from Peter’s book, tell it like you experienced it. Do not get too preoccupied with whether you are convincing enough for the listener, because that can inhibit your willingness to share your faith experience. People might disagree with you or be offended by you, but no one can discredit your experience as unreal. Trust God to make of your sharing what He will. You are not solely responsible for bringing anybody to salvation or perfect spiritual maturity, but you are responsible for making effort to show up in his/her life, and share what you know about God to be true.
Thoughts for the day
- What does it look like for you to be show up for Christ in other people’s lives?
- What was a recent God encounter you had? Who can you share that with?
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Dear God and heavenly father, please show me how to be involved in the lives of people around me, and help me to share my faith experience when the opportunity comes.