19 We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
Peter understands that God’s message and plan for saving the world (“Scripture” and “prophecy”) was delivered by human prophets, and therefore may be construed as man-made or fictitious. So he reminds them Scripture is God-made, sent through the Holy-Spirit delivery network that worked and moved in the hearts of the prophets.
Peter says followers of Jesus can expect to be tried in their faith (“dark place”) and calls them to focus on to God (“pay attention… as to a light shining in the dark”) until the turmoil is over physically (“day dawns”) and emotionally (“morning star rises in your hearts”).
Do not be surprised when your faith is challenged. Beware these challenges can get to you physically and emotionally. Focus on who God is and what He has said, not on the “dark” around you. Hang on until the challenge is over.
Thoughts for the day
- What verse(s) from the Bible about who God says he is do you take to heart?
- How can you be strengthening yourself to be ready for spiritually challenging times?
- Who around you is facing a spiritually challenging time? How can you come alongside them to help them hang on to God?
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Dear God and heavenly father, help me make every effort to build my spiritual “muscles” so that I can better face my faith obstacles when they come. Help me to see who is having a tough time and sincerely support and encourage their faith in you.