9 I, John, your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. 10 On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, 11 which said: “Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea.”
John is imprisoned on an island penal colony called Patmos; he is there because of his commitment to the risen Jesus Christ. What we read here is yet another example of heaven meeting earth. John is “in the Spirit” on the day that Jesus’ resurrection was remembered by his church which is to say, Sunday. The vision which will be given to him by the Holy Spirit (which is the rest of the book of Revelation) was for real people living in real cities. Think of all the Christians living in Shanghai receiving a uniquely crafted letter from Jesus which is His word to us (Ps. Dale- Senior pastor).
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray the promises of God. Remind yourself of God’s character and power by finding a promise from God that speaks to you. Reflect and pray on it today.