17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.
These two experiences go together; awesome fear in the presence of the divine being and his word of comfort to us. We must have some experience with this in our own story, the fear of the Lord and the word of his comfort. Not just comfort but the comfort that is given when we have been terrorized by his presence. Without this intimate experience of falling at Jesus’ feet and saying as Peter did once, “Go away from me Lord, I am a sinful man” we may never know the comfort of his reassuring words, “Do not be afraid”. They are unique words of comfort spoken in a specific context. They describe the comfort that comes when Jesus identifies himself to us, “It’s me. The First and the Last, the Living One! I have the keys to get you out of hell (Ps. Dale- Senior pastor).
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
PRAY FOR GOD’S KINGDOM TO COME The simplest prayer can be the most powerful: “Your Kingdom Come, Your Will be done, On earth as in heaven”.