7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way.
Paul is clarifying some aspects about the end times. After talking about events which must happen before the day of the Lord (2 Thessalonians 2:1-6), he tells the Thessalonian believers that the secret power or the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now restrains it will do so until he is taken out of the way.
We are evidently already living the secret power or the mystery of lawlessness in the world. There are odious crimes, profane and blasphemous speech, sexual immorality, secularism, greed, hatred, and a growing rebellion against God.
But still, wicked conditions will reach an unprecedented level when the man of lawlessness is revealed.
Knowing that there is a restraining, we should give glory to God for by His grace we are spared from unparalleled wickedness which is yet to come.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.