33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
Maybe Jesus said this because he knew that we would stumble over him. Jesus claimed an authority that was “off putting” for some people. Whether he was forgiving some one of sins they had committed against another person, over-riding religious protocol, referring to God as his Father or making exclusive truth claims like, “I am the way, the truth and life, no one comes to the Father except through me”; it bothered people. For some, like John, the “stumbling over Jesus” perhaps had to do with a disappointment. Jesus is able to see the possibility of the stumble and give a blessing to those who manage to “stay on their feet” in order to receive Him.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray through your contacts! Open the contacts on your phone and pray for everyone under the letter “A” or “Z”. Work through your entire contact list over the next couple of months!