23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”(which means “God with us”).
Verse 23 is a quote by an angel from the book of Isaiah 7:14 who appeared to Joseph to inform him, Mary has not been unfaithful to him. Instead, the unnamed angel told Joseph that Mary’s pregnancy was in keeping with God’s eternal plan, which was declared by the prophet Isaiah some 700 years before.
By alluding to prophet Isaiah in Matthew, two reminders (amongst others) stand out 1) to always read and understand the Bible in its entirety (and the beauty behind the interwovenness of the various books in the Bible) and 2) God’s eternal plan to save mankind and how He will save us. Both these aspects have been an ongoing notion throughout the entire Bible which is woven into the very fabric of God’s redemptive narrative to save us all. Oh, how marvellous and mind-blowing it all is at the same time!
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Lord, we ask you to shield all doctors, nurses, first responders and vulnerable people from contracting COVID-19.