34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.
Here Jesus marks out 4 conditions that need to be met as a disciple of Jesus:
- “Whoever wants to be my disciple…” It must be voluntary and of their free will to choose to follow Jesus. This first condition of Jesus is the foundation of all the rest.
- “must deny themselves…” They must leave behind all prejudices, errors, idolatry and separate themselves from their old ways.
- “and take up their cross…” They must submit to the doctrines of Jesus which are: boldly professing Jesus Christ is Lord, cheerful submission to all suffering and persecutions brought on by following Jesus.
- “and follow me.” That is they must follow Jesus and continue even unto death.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
God, You hear. Please let the displaced people of the world know that they are heard. And help us to hear them.