9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
In the verses preceding today’s passage Paul talks about the Body of Christ, and how we should think of ourselves with sober judgment; he goes on in comparing our bodies to the Body of Christ, with many members, yet forming one body with each member belonging to all the others, with different functions and gifts. (Rom 12:3-8).
Today’s passage talks about the woven fabric that holds this body together.
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. One has to be free from pretense or deceit. Love must be genuine. Have an intense and passionate dislike for evil. Hold on tightly to what is good.
Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Be very loving or loyal to one another in love. Have high respect, great esteem to one another above ourselves.
Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.Have great energy or enthusiasm in pursuit of an objective – keeping our spiritual fervor, be of use for God.
And lastly, Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. For some of us, these words might be coming in a time when we are struggling in finding joy in hope, losing patience in affliction or even wondering if prayers make any difference in the outcome ahead of us. May God’s word encourage us today!
Thoughts for the day
- Am I conditional in loving other?
- Do I hate what is evil and cling to what is good, or have I been holding on tightly to what is not good (evil thoughts, anger, unforgiveness, jealousy, comparison, worry, fear, etc)?
- Am I giving or showing firm and constant support to my brothers and sisters in Christ?
- Am I honoring them through my actions and words?
- Is my spiritual fervor a priority in my life?
- How does that reflect in my daily schedule?
- Am I serving the Lord, according to the gifts He has given me?
- How can I be of use for God in my current situation?
Think of another person in your life who needs God to move in their situation. Ask for God to be at work. Approach the Lord of all with boldness today, knowing that he delights in you, and those you love.