22 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple.
What is the purpose of a church or temple? There are lots of reasons. For one, it is a physical place the Body of Christ can gather to edify each other by the glorifying of God through service, musical worship, the speaking of tongues, prophecies and knowledge. Another reason is it is the place help ministries and missions are launched to witness to the world. Additionally, the Jews also saw/see the tabernacle as the special dwelling place of God.
But in the New Jerusalem, there will be no physical temple because the earthly requirements for the edifying of the body of Christ will no longer be needed. There will be no need for help ministries and missions. There will be no special dwelling place for God, because in the New Jerusalem, God and the Lamb ARE everything and everywhere. The time of evidence and witnessing will be over. God’s presence and light will be undeniable and permeate everything and place. The people of God will get to experience the fullness of God in the fullness of His presence as God has always intended it to be.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Identify anything that is making you weary or burdened and give it back to God. You might like to physically represent this by clinching your hands then opening them.