7 Then Moses summoned Joshua and said to him in the presence of all Israel, “Be strong and courageous, for you must go with this people into the land that the Lord swore to their ancestors to give them, and you must divide it among them as their inheritance. 8 The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
The essence of these two verses were not only spoken to Joshua, but it was also spoken in verse 6. But in verse 6 it was said to the entire nation of Israel. They were about to cross the Jordan river with Joshua, to take a hold of the promised land that was promised to Abraham. But we read in verse 3a ‘The LORD your God himself will go over before you. He will destroy these nations before you…’
Even though Israel still had to march around the city, and acted on God’s instructions to take a hold of the city, it was God who went before them, it was God who destroyed their enemies for them.
Similarly, it is with us, we are also required to march around our cities and do what God asks of us to inherit that promise, but rest assured, you are not doing it out of your own strength. God goes before you; you are not alone.
Thoughts for the day
- Is there anything particularly God asks of you to do in order to take a hold of a promise?
- Do you believe He goes out before you, and that he is with you?
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Think of another person in your life who needs God to move in their situation. Ask for God to be at work. Approach the Lord of all with boldness today, knowing that he delights in you, and those you love.