9 Then the Lord said to Joshua, “Today I have rolled away the reproach of Egypt from you.” So the place has been called Gilgal to this day.
10 On the evening of the fourteenth day of the month, while camped at Gilgal on the plains of Jericho, the Israelites celebrated the Passover. 11 The day after the Passover, that very day, they ate some of the produce of the land: unleavened bread and roasted grain. 12 The manna stopped the day after they ate this food from the land; there was no longer any manna for the Israelites, but that year they ate the produce of Canaan.
We all have a certain identity. And we feel lost and confused when we can’t live it out. We, who believe in Jesus, also have the identity from God. We should feel the same when we lose this identity.
Israel had been enslaved for a long time in Egypt. They could not keep their identity during their time of slavery in Egypt, because they could not be circumcised. Circumcision had been a traditional ritual for Israelites to protect their identity from God since before the time of slavery; this situation made them feel shameful.
“Gilgal” was where the Israelites’ identity, “the beloved people of God” had been restored. It was also a place away from their shame of not living according to God’s people. With their identity being restored now they were ready to live in Canaan, a secular place with God’s mission.
Similarly, we are not slaves of the world anymore. We are God’s people living in this world. By living and knowing our identity in God, we can also live in this world and be a partaker of God’s mission (Woowon).
Thoughts for the day
- Is there any sin that I should be forgiven by God now? Let’s pray for repentance before God.What does this passage tell you about God and Jesus?
- Is there anyone I should forgive now? Let’s pray before God to forgive them
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Ask God to deliver you from your troubles to protect you from the evil one and deliver you from temptation.