Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. 2 But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”
Church community is very good. On Sundays, you experience great praise and worship music and great sermons. There are various activities to take part in and in community groups, you study the Bible with friends who become like your family and enjoy awesome friendships. Christian community plays a vital role in our lives in Shanghai.
However, if we think of a church community only in this way, we are missing the real reason behind Christian community. During Jesus’ time, the community of God was Israel, just as the church is today. Israeli society consisted of social classes and as long as one stayed within your social class, all was good.
But, Jesus did not meet only those in his class; he also crossed the social barriers and socialized with the marginalized, the tax collectors, the sinners, and the prostitute. In Luke 15:3, we read Jesus words “I’m here to find the lost sheep.”
The head of the church is Jesus Christ, and the church community must follow Jesus’ intentions and imitate him. Therefore, the church must proclaim the Gospel to those outside of our Christian community and introduce the joy of Christian fellowship to those who do not know him (Woowon)
Thoughts for the day
- Do you keep the gospel only to yourself and to your Christian community?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray for the people of China.