Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God— 2 the gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures 3 regarding his Son, who as to his earthly life was a descendant of David, 4 and who through the Spirit of holiness was appointed the Son of God in power by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord. 5 Through him we received grace and apostleship to call all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from[c] faith for his name’s sake.
As I read through this passage over and over, I was stumped trying to find something for me to reflect on. What does this passage contain for me? And then somewhere around the Xth time I read this passage, the last five words of the passage finally stood out to me… “faith for his name’s sake.” This passage is not about me. It often isn’t about us at all. The great purpose of our faith is to lift up the name of Jesus as the name above all names; to make him known greatly among the nations. Ultimately, in true faith, we are most satisfied when he is most glorified.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray through your contacts! Open the contacts on your phone and pray for everyone under the letter “A”, “B” or “C”. Work through your entire contact list over the next couple of months!