19 Instead, they had some points of dispute with him about their own religion and about a dead man named Jesus who Paul claimed was alive.
There is an interesting thing I’ve noticed about when people start arguing and taking sides. People don’t really want to convince others of something so much as they want their arguments to be heard and for their opposition to be slandered. When given the chance to make an argument, people often waste their opportunity instead by waxing poorly about irrelevant issues. When factions want to make a difference in government they end up playing politics and nothing ever really gets done. This is the sad truth about theological debating as well. I have the privilege to be part of a Facebook group that discusses theology and it seems that people just go on to either “stand up” for their perception of the Gospel or to tear others down. According to this passage, it seems it’s been going on for a long time! When will we learn that none of these things make an effective witness?
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Think of someone you know who could use a little joy in their lives and pray for presence of the Lord to rest on them. “In His presence there is fullness of Joy” Psalm 16:11