19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.
This verse is one of many that points to the deity of Jesus. God’s “fullness dwelled in Him.” Jesus was not merely a great teacher, a prophet or even a demigod. Jesus was God in the flesh, sent to this world to fulfill history’s greatest mission: salvation for humanity. Through Jesus’s perfect life and sacrificial death on the cross, every human (despite how much we may have sinned) may be brought into relationship with God and receive the gift of eternal salvation. Through Jesus, all things in Heaven and on earth have been reconciled to God.
God invites you to receive His free gift of salvation by accepting Jesus into your life and committing to following Him. You can simply go to God in prayer and confess your sin and rebellion. Offer your life to God and He will in turn give you His Holy Spirit to empower you to follow and serve him.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Reflect on a promise from the Bible. For example: “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13.