45 For even I, the Messiah, am not here to be served, but to help others, and to give my life as a ransom for many.”
Jesus had been serving his closest friends from the beginning; when they were tired, he gave them rest, when they were hungry he fed them. On the night that Jesus and his friends celebrated their last Passover meal, he served them in a way that must have shocked them. Jesus literally took over the servant’s responsibility and washed their dirty feet. Everyone entered that room before dinner convinced that God’s Messiah would never suffer, never surrender and never serve; before the night was over Jesus would do all three (Ps. Dale).
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell us about God, Jesus and people?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- What is one way you can apply this truth to your life today?
- Who can you encourage with this story/message?
- Be still and invite the Holy Spirit to help you be thankful .
- Identify three things that you’re thankful for right now (It doesn’t matter whether they’re big or small).
- Take a moment to give thanks and praise God for them