31 October 2019 – 2 Peter 3:8-10 (NIV)
8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.
This is a good reminder that God does not measure time the way that we do. People misunderstand God, become frustrated and even accuse Him because they think He is “off” on the timing. As a popular song used to say, “He’s an on time God” The second half of this reading is also a powerful reminder, “God is not willing that anyone should perish” Many people over the last 2,000 years have left country and family with the heart of God beating inside them . . . and they still do!
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28. Be still and allow the presence of Jesus to bring you rest right now.