7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
This is one of those statements you find in the Bible that almost does not need a context. It is stated as a principle: people look at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart. Perhaps because it is only God who can see the heart, only God can see and know the real you. There are other places in the Bible that would indicate this perspective, Jeremiah 17:9 and 1 Corinthians 4:5. There is also here a reminder that we should have humility when we relate to each other. It is easy to fall into the trap of “jumping to conclusions” and “making (wrong) assumptions because we think we know the heart of the other person. A big dose of humility goes a long way
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray through your contacts! Open the contacts on your phone and pray for everyone under the letter “L”, “M”, “N”.