3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people.
The gospel is often presented as something easy; easy to understand, easy to receive. “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31) Here we are told that Christians must “contend”, i.e. work very hard for the faith. This does not mean to volunteer often and much (“work hard on behalf of Christian faith”) but to work hard to ensure the faith we have is Christian, the faith of the apostles who received it, the faith we have come to believe by the Word of God and in Jesus. Others will try and mess this up for us, we must know what we believe and why we believe it.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Wherever you are, take time to acknowledge God and trust in Him again. Give God your worries. Take a moment to give each thing you are worrying about back to God.