9 He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.
There is an old story which describes the training of bank tellers. Some people would come into the bank with counterfeit money attempting to exchange it for “real” money. The tellers were not trained to recognize the false as much as they were trained to recognize and be familiar with the “real” Here, potential elders had to know the “true” message of the gospel from the false. The more we know of the true nature and person of Jesus the more likely we will be able to recognize a teaching that is “off” the mark.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Give God your praise. Give God your praise for the good things you are experiencing and practice gratitude for everything God’s given you at this present moment.