The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
What kind of fear is the author of Proverbs talking about? There are many types but this fear in particular is reverence for and obedience to God. It is here that the foundation and source of true knowledge is first found. The writer makes the observation that a person, who despises wisdom and instruction, or rather lacks knowledge, is a fool. But praise be to God that anyone who lacks wisdom can freely approach the throne and ask God, who gives generously without finding fault (James 1). Obedience and reverence for God is the key to unlocking knowledge and wisdom from its true source, the Maker and Creator God.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Perfect Love. Pray that the perfect love of Christ will cast out fear and anxiety that creeps into our hearts from fake news and misinformation.