13 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. 14 This is why it is said:
“Wake up, sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you.”
Some people believe that this quote which begins with “Wake up . . .” is from a baptism hymn of the ancient church. Baptism is a picture of what happens to us spiritually, a coming together of both the physical, (in the waters of baptism) and inside us, as the power of the resurrected Christ makes alive what had died within us. In the words of another beautiful hymn, “Praise God from whom all blessings flow, praise Him all creatures here below, praise Him above you heavenly host, praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost”
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray the Lord’s Prayer:
“Our Father in Heaven, hallowed be you name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one”.