3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
One of the church’s greatest strengths is its unity, more specifically it is the unity which arises out of diversity. Someone has said that the devil does not fear a large church as much as he does a unified church. A diverse group of Christians living in unity reveals the love of Christ, subverts the world and its system and brings hope to the hopeless. The church in Philippi was in danger of losing its unity, a threatening situation indeed. The three things potentially present in any of us which will disrupt the unity of the church are: personal ambition, the desire for personal prestige and the concentration on self. In a hymn to the greatest human being the world has ever known, the life of Jesus could be summarized in one word, “Others”
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28. Be still and allow the presence of Jesus to bring you rest right now.