15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
What we have in these verses as well as those which surround them is a picture of things as they were meant to be. Two things stand out, the goodness of work and the work of caring for the environment. Work is not a curse but an opportunity to produce goods and services which enrich the lives of others in a way which brings out the best in us. A place to begin is to become knowledgeable, “find out”, how do we care for and manage the environment? Start locally, what would it mean for me to “steward” creation? We don’t worship the environment; we worship the one who gave the environment. We enrich our lives by caring for His created order.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray for China. Pray for those in authority and all those who have been affected by recent events.