8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Jesus never stopped being God but he did “add on” the human experience. He added the human experience in its entirety including death which every human being would experience. Not physical death, but the spiritual death of complete separation from God. People often ask the question, “Why did Jesus have to die?” Jesus died so that you and I would not have to die and be eternally separated from the Father; he died in our place. He paid our debt and finished up the accounts, no more is owed, this is one is free. At the sight of God in Christ laying down his glory and loving us to the full extent by dying for us, our hearts are melted by this singular act of love. The Spirit helps us to see what was done for us, who it was who did it and what it means. We fall at his feet in worship not because we are afraid but because we know ourselves to be loved with an everlasting love.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Think of someone you know who could use a little joy in their lives and pray for presence of the Lord to rest on them. “In His presence there is fullness of Joy” Psalm 16:11