35 “The distance all around will be 18,000 cubits.
“And the name of the city from that time on will be:
the Lord is there.”
When considering the entire vision God had for the city of Jerusalem the name, “Jerusalem” wasn’t big enough. Ezekiel is telling us that this city has a destiny as big as God himself; it will be the city where God lives . . . forever! The name is Yahweh Shammah or “The Lord is there”. To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, there is no need to be concerned about who will live in the city, only those who love God and desire to be in his holy presence will want to live there. Faith will become sight and all things will be made new (Revelation 3:12).
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray for the people around you. Take a minute to pray for those you can see; or those who immediately spring to mind.