6 “I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word.
This quote from Jesus is spoken during a prayer which takes up all of John 17, it is worth reading in its entirety. The original group of people who “signed on” to follow Jesus have had a wild and bumpy ride, they have not always done very well but they have not fallen off. To be fair to them, a group of ordinary people were invited to change the world through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ – wow! Along the way there were miracles, healings and exorcisms; there were also arguments, conflict and rejection and yet they remain by his side. This is a pre-resurrection prayer, soon Jesus will be arrested and these same men will abandon him. The test will come and the sheep will scatter, scattered but not lost, the Good Shepherd will gather his sheep once more (Revelation 3:10).
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Pray for a renewed sense of God’s Presence. Allow yourself to stop and acknowledge God’s presence – pray, “Holy Spirit come”.