Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted[a] by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry.
Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness. The wilderness is a harsh place; it is also barren with few of the “props” we like to have in order to be comfortable. Note that it is the Spirit that leads Jesus to this place and it will be in the wilderness that Jesus will be tested. The “second Adam” Jesus will face the tempter as the first Adam once did but this time the “man” Jesus will not stumble. He will pass the test. As it has been said of Jesus, “he became what we are so we could become what he is”, a victor over sin, death and the grave.
Thoughts for the day
- What does this passage tell you about God or Jesus?
- What does this passage tell you about humanity?
- What do you feel God is telling you through this passage?
- How can you apply this message in an area of your life that needs transformation?
- Is there anyone you think should hear or will benefit from this message? Go and tell them.
Ask God to help shape your prayers – countries you should pray for; situations which need God’s power and transformation; lift them up in confidence and faith. “Say among the nations, ‘The Lord reigns’” Psalm 96:10